The Winnipeg Tribune

August 12, 2000 - Vol 3, Issue 14

Tribune Printers return to work

(Staff - Jan. 08/00) - The printing staff at the Winnipeg Tribune returned to work earlier this week. They have been out on a sympathy strike in hopes of helping their fellow printers on the Gimli Viking.

They joined the Viking workers on the picket lines after it became clear that a message need to be sent that printers stick together, and would do what it took to ensure fair treatment.

All the staff at the Winnipeg Tribune congratulate the Viking printers on the settlement they received, and are overjoyed to have their printers back at the presses.

We will now resume the high quality of journalism that the people of Winnipeg have come to expect from their Winnipeg Tribune.

Strange flash in the sky

(Staff - Aug. 7/00) - Hitchhikers walking back from Morris, Manitoba, were just outside the city when the night sky lit up. Off in the distance they could hear a strange whoosh type noise.

They rushed over to where they thought the noise and lights were coming from. When they arrived all they found was a scorched piece of land. It is unclear what caused the markings, but police are writing it up as a hoax and may be charging the hitchhikers with mischief.

Gang War on the Streets of the Peg

(Staff - Aug. 08/00) - Since the Los Bravos Patch-Over ceremony a couple of weeks ago, there has been a sharp rise in gang-related violence. The new Hellís Angels clubhouse has been the scene of four drive-by shootings. Police continue to deny the use of automatic weapons in these attacks.

However at least one resident of the area was able to hear at least one of the drive-by shootings. "It sounded like something out of a movie," he reported.

"After the gunfire stopped I went outside to see if any of the neighbourhood kids had been hurt, and the ground was just littered with shell casings. I ran back in and grabbed my camera and was able to get off a couple of shots before the police showed up."

The Winnipeg Police have refused to comment on the photo. The head of the Gang Crime Division Sid Robinson released a statement yesterday. "With the circumstance before us, it appears that some members of the Bravos who opposed the Patch-Over have formed a new gang and are fighting to maintain dominance. The crimes related to this should be focused on each other. So long as you donít get in between the two rival gangs you will be safe. In the two weeks since the Patch-Over, no one who is not a member of the gang has been hurt."

Explosion Rocks Downtown

(Staff - Aug. 10/00) - Phoenix Corporationís Winnipeg headquarters was destroyed in a massive explosion early Thursday morning.

Police believe the Mafia to be behind the attack. They have recovered the remains of the person they believe to be responsible.

"Sergio Badavito has a long history of being involved with the underworld. We are very familiar with this fellow," explained the police spokesman.

The motives behind the attack are unknown at this time. Police continue to investigate.

Unconfirmed reports place the death toll at 15 - 16. No names have been released.

Rubble was strewn over a three block radius with minor injuries reported from various passer-bys.

CEO of Phoenix Corp. Winnipeg, Christopher D. Kennedy, was unavailable for comment.

Attempts to reach the international headquarters were also unsuccessful.

Police are asking for anyone with information to come forward. They are also encouraged to call Crimestoppers.

Newest Hazard on the Links

(Staff - Aug. 12/00) - For those unaccustomed to watching a professional golf tournament, here's a good rule of thumb: Don't drink heavily and then stagger across a fairway. Especially when a touring pro is about to hit a tee shot.

You're laughing, aren't you? You don't believe anyone would be stupid enough to sample the copious (and free) beverages in one of the sponsors' hospitality tents at St. Charles and then go wandering around a golf course.

Thursday afternoon at the AT & T Canada Senior Open at "that nice little golf course" in sunny St. James, Seniors Tour veteran Walt Morgan was standing over his tee on the 10th tee having just hit the ball.

Morgan looked down the fairway and started to shout "Look out". There he was, a tired and emotional young man staggering across the fairway oblivious to the fact a golf ball was bearing down on him. Then he fell over has it struck him in the side of the head, the word "Titleist" permanently tattooed on him.

Ambulance attendants on the scene rushed him to hospital. It is reported that he has a severe concussion, but is recovering.

Evidently, those yellow ropes don't register with everyone. In fairness, there is probably a good reason for that. There has been a decidedly Happy Gilmore-ish feel to the galleries at this week's Seniors Tour event. In other words, there are a lot of people who wouldn't normally attend a pro golf tournament who have rushed the ticket booth this week in order to get a glimpse of the Golden Bear, Jack Nicklaus. Thanks to the great man, there were 10,000 spectators on Thursday.

Some dos and doníts

Do not walk along the fairways inside the yellow ropes. Believe me, taking a golf ball right between the eyes really hurts.

Don't slam the port-a-potty door. Thursday, someone bounded out of a port-a-potty near the fifth green, let the door slam and then yelled at his buddies to "wait up!" Meanwhile, John Schroeder just happened to be in his backswing. He was, to say the least, distracted. Silence, in every sense of the word, is golden.

You don't always have to applaud. On Thursday, as Jim Colbert steamed, the crowd cheered each and every one of his six shots on the par 4 third hole. Sometimes shots aren't worthy of applause. The player knows it.

Of all the world's great athletes, these guys are among the most accessible, friendly and gregarious. They're good people. If you're good people back, you can have a heck of a weekend.